Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Am The Messenger Review



Well, I haven't posted a review for "Hero Type," I haven't written any poetry or fiction, and my scripts are as last minute as ever. Looks like I'm well on my way to doing nothing that I said I was going to do.


So, to combat this, I'm going to post an impromptu review of a book I just recently finished, "I Am The Messenger" by Markus Zusak. (For you non-Americans, the book was released as "The Messenger")



http://eplteen.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/messenger1.jpg                    The Messenger Au Cover.jpg

 I Am The Messenger is the story of Ed Kennedy, a 19-year-old cab driver. After foiling a bank robbery, Ed begins to receive playing cards in the mail, each one an ace of a different suit with addresses or clues marked on them, and realizes that he is now a messenger, and that it is his job to decipher the clues to deliver the messages to people in his town, whether it be a pair of squabbling brothers or a worn-down priest or a shy teenager.

As the story progresses, Ed's targets turn from strangers around town to his tight-knit circle of friends, and then, to himself.  Ed Kennedy is not the messenger, but something else entirely.  I'll let you read it and find out

This is not my first encounter with the work of Markus Zusak; I have read and now own a copy of his most famous work, The Book Thief(Which I'll probably review in the coming weeks).  I Am The Messenger a good story, well-written and organic.  It's not the perfect book, but it's certainly easier to read than the purple prose of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series.  I suggest you go out and borrow this book from your local library right away.

0 comments: