Saturday, October 25, 2008

Voting...A personal thing, and a public thing.

First of all, let me say this. I have decided on the candidate for whom I am voting, and I have decided that it will remain private who I have chosen. Why? Because I am sick and tired of everyone spouting off their political opinions on every subject, candidate, and issue. I have heard nonstop rants against Obama, McCain, Palin, Biden, and their mothers for the past month, and I've got to say, it has been the most agonizing month of my life.

Yes, I'm all for free speech and free ideas, but just because you are allowed to open your mouth, it doesn't mean you should. I have seen and read a thousand opinions and views on Abortion, Iraq, Iran, the Economy, and Global Warming. Don't get me wrong, I am very concerned about every last one of these issues, but don't mistake me in this; This election is not important enough to cause strife and dissension in the body of Christ.

In Paul's letter to the church in Ephesus, he pleads with the Ephesian brothers to "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."* and then later he urges them, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."**

I have opinions on the election, I have thoughts on Senator Obama's abortion record, Senator McCain's fuel plan, and Governor Palin's wardrobe expenses, but none of those things matter so much as the unity of the church. As children of the Most High, we are not supposed to spend our time plotting against our brethren as if they were our enemy! And don't give me the excuse, "We just don't see eye-to-eye." That is bull crap. That is NO EXCUSE to grieve the Holy Spirit of God. If you don't see eye to eye with someone, you may speak to them in a civilized conversation, not a childish slap-fight of who's stupid and who isn't.

When you spend your time expressing such ungodly, immature debates of "You're wrong because you're a Democrat/Republican/Libertarian" and you can't even show the love of Christ to your brother or sister in the Lord, that should be an instant warning flare to you. If we cannot love our brethren, how can we love the unbeliever? Jesus, sitting with disciples during the Last supper, gave them a command, and the same command had been made to us who are in Christ. ""A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." "***

There are many ways we can vote this election season, and you are entitled to vote as the Holy Spirit convicts and as the Word dictates, no more foolish flame-wars attacking each other. You grieve God to do so, and you grieve your fellow brothers.

As Paul pleaded to the Ephesians, so I plead to you: Do not let this election cause strife in the church of Christ. If it comes down to it, and you are not mature enough to recognize your disagreeing brother in Christ as a brother and friend, then view them as your enemy, but do not forget what Christ exhorted us to do. "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven."

Let us bring glory to God this election season. Let us not bring shame to His church and His name.

Your Brother,
Zack

PS: If I have erred in my words, if I stand against the instruction of Scripture or of sound doctrine, please do not hesitate to correct me. I am not too proud to be wrong, nor am I too high to hear words of wisdom.

*-Ephesians 4:3
**-Ephesians 4:29-32
***-John 13:34
****-Matthew 5:44

0 comments: